Watercolor Rooster

Watercolor Rooster

Saturday, January 2, 2016

Happy New Year!!

Happy New Year!!! I hope 2016 will be a fantastic year for all you art lovers out there!!

I have been pretty busy, painting and making other items. I love painting and making custom items and hopefully, the clients like them and enjoy them for many years.

I did a few projects, that weren't typical for me. I decided to paint some things for Joanna Gaines of Fixer Upper, the TV show based in Waco, Tx.  My mom and I love the show and how country, rustic, and shabby her style is, which is somewhat similar to our own styles.

I decided to send her a hand painted denim jacket because she always seems to have a cute denim jacket on during the show reveals or while shopping around Waco. I wanted to paint her logo and some magnolia blossoms on the back.
I printed out a copy of the Magnolia Farms logo, that is made up of old sign letters. After drawing and painting the flowers onto the back of a cute jacket (from Old Navy), I added the letters. I think it ended up looking a LOT like the logo. Here is a before and after photo.




 I also sent her a watercolor of magnolias similar to the ones on the jacket, in soft pinks and greens. Not pink because it is my favorite color, but so they would show up on the paper. I don't often paint dark backgrounds. (color is more intense on computer than on painting)

The final painting I sent was of three chickens. Two hens and a rooster, in watercolor. I also covered the mat in old, slightly yellowed, dictionary pages. I roughed up and painted a heavy frame in off white and it came together quite nicely. I really like how the mat looked covered in old book pages. A great trick if you accidentally dent or damage a large mat. (below are some photos of the chickens in progress of being painted)

My mom was nice enough to go to Waco with my best friend, to deliver the items. They delivered them to the new Magnolia Market store at the Silos.  Awhile later I rec'd a thank you note from Joanna Gaines. Which was nice. Maybe one day she or her buyer will contact me to provide a painting or two for the store, meanwhile, I hope she enjoys the paintings and gets a chance to wear the jacket. Her store employees said the jacket was just her size, so that was good to know. (I had to guess !)

If you are in Texas or visiting, please check out:   https://shop.magnoliamarket.com/

If you are in Texas and would like a painting, jacket, or hand painted pair of boots, drop me an email or give me a call!!

3 Chickens in progress
Hen 
Rooster
Hen














No comments: